Updated: March 5, 2012. This week's top 10 contenders list is centered on the announcement of Pool 2 of the 2012 Kentucky Derby Future Wager.
The mutuel field closed as a slight 3-1 favorite over the top infidivually listed option, Union Rags, when Pool 2 of the 2012 Kentucky Derby closed Sunday at 6 p.m. EST.
Top 10 Kentucky Derby Contenders
1. Union Rags (4-1) - Union Rags cemented himself as the Pool 2 favorite with his win at the Fountain of Youth Stakes at Gulfstream Park. He will likely be the favorite going into the Derby as he closed as a 4-1 favorite in Sunday's Pool 2 Future Wager.
3. El Padrino (12-1) - El Padrino passed a huge test in February as he won the Grade 2, $300,000 Risen Star Stakes at Fair Grounds. He had a poor showing in the Remsen, so it was nice to see him bounce back with a win!
4. Creative Cause (17-1) - Creative Cause finished third in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile, which was an impressive finish given who he finished behind, Union Rags and Hansen. He opens up as a 17-1 favorite and is currently fifth in graded stakes earnings.
5. Alpha (18-1) - Alpha made it two straight wins over the Aqueduct inner track this winter winning the Withers Stakes by 3 ¼ lengths in February. The Godolphin-owned colt continues to enhance his credentials as a serious contender and is an 18-1 favorite for this year's Kentucky Derby.
6. Fed Biz (22-1) - Fed Biz's recent win at Santa Anita has gotten the attention of many Derby experts, but he still has a lot of ground to make up in graded stakes earnings.
7. I'll Have Another (22-1) - I'll Have Another won the $200,000 Robert B. Lewis Stakes in shocking fashion at 43-1 odds! Since then he has garnered the attention of many Derby experts and has become a top 10 contender in this year's Derby.
8. Gemologist (23-1) - Gemologist is another undefeated colt with a perfect record from three races. His last win came at Churchill Downs where he won the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes. He has enough graded stakes earnings to compete in this year's Kentucky Derby, so be on the lookout for Gemologist this May!
9. Out of Bounds (23-1) - His win at the Sham Stakes in January caught the attention of many Derby futures. Out of Bounds is a large colt who seems to have limitless potential and a big motor get him around the lengthy Kentucky Derby.
10. Dullahan (26-1) - Dulllahan finished fourth in November's Breeders’ Cup Juvenile after a first place finish in Dixiana Breeder's Futurity. A half-brother to 2009 Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird, Dullahan is a 26-1 favorite to win this year's Derby. He has the pedigree to be successful this May, so he should be on your radar as a Derby favorite.