Last Updated: February 10, 2012. This is our first of many rankings of the 2012 Kentucky Derby contenders. Our first contender ranking is centered on the announcement of Pool 1 of the 2012 Kentucky Derby Future Wager.
A Pool 1 field horse has wound up winning the Derby in six of the last 13 years, including Animal Kingdom’s win last year!
Next Update: I will track the top contenders of the 2012 Kentucky Derby and list my top 10 every Monday. Be sure to subscribe to the Derby Experiences blog and follow QuintEvents on Facebook and Twitter @QuintEvents for updates on this year’s Kentucky Derby.
Top 10 Kentucky Derby Contenders
1.Algorithms (8-1) – Algorithms won the Holy Bull Stakes at Gulfstream Park by five lengths on January 29. He opens as the favorite to win this year’s Kentucky Derby and is showing no signs of slowing down in Derby qualifiers.
2. Union Rags (10-1) – Graded Stakes noted that they are concerned about Union Rags ability to go the classic distance in the Derby. He was unlucky in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile with only a second place finish, but won the Champagne and Saratoga Special in blowout fashion. Union Rags open as the second favorite.
3. Hansen (12-1) – Hansen stumbled out the gates at the Holy Bull Stakes, but salvaged a second place finish. This has created some doubts in his ability to perform well at this year’s Derby. He is inexperienced, but has the potential to run well if he can start out of the gate well. Should be a horse to watch in the next few races.
4. Discreet Dancer (15-1) – Discreet Dancer set a track record for 5 ½ furlongs at Gulfstream Park winning his debut by 9 ¾ lengths on Dec. 3 and followed that impressive win with a 5 ½ lengths win in the Gulfstream Test. He opens as a 15-1 favorite and could be a horse on the rise.
5. Alpha (20-1) – Alpha made it two straight wins over the Aqueduct inner track this winter winning the Withers Stakes last Saturday by 3 ¼ lengths. Godolphin-owned colt continues to enhance his credentials as a serious contender for this year's Kentucky Derby.
6. Gemologist (20-1) – Gemologist is another undefeated colt with a perfect record from three races. His last win came at Churchill Downs where he won the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes. This gave him some much needed graded stakes earnings and gave him experience on the Derby track.
7. Creative Cause (20-1) – Creative Cause finished third in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile, which was an impressive finish given who he finished behind, Union Rags and Hansen. He opens up as a 20-1 favorite and is a horse to watch in many of the Derby qualifiers.
8. Out of Bounds (20-1) – His win at the Sham Stakes in January caught the attention of many Derby futures. Out of Bounds is a large colt who seems to have limitless potential and a big motor get him around the lengthy Kentucky Derby.
9. El Padrino (20-1) – El Padrino had a poor sowing in the Remsen but has shown some promise contending in some races. He will be a horse to watch to see if he can kick it up another level and contend in major races.
10. Sabercat (30-1) - Sabercat had an impressive four-length victory at the Delta Downs Jackpot in November. $600,000 payday assures that he'll have enough graded earnings to get into the field at the Kentucky Derby and at 30-1 could give betters a big payday.