It’s that time of year! We are a little over three weeks away from the 2014 Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby, so you need to know what you can and cannot bring with you inside the grounds of Churchill Downs. Knowing in advance will help you plan what to pack and what to bring with you. After all, you don’t want face any confusions that will hinder you from attending!
If you’re looking for guides on what to wear, we have that for you here:
This article is strictly to inform you on what you can and what you cannot bring with you inside Churchill. Because there are such large crowds inside the track, it’s important that the safety of spectators and the horses are taken into consideration. Let’s start by taking a look at the items that you are permitted to bring with you on Kentucky Derby day!
Items Permitted inside Churchill Downs on Kentucky Derby & Oaks Days
The following items are allowed on race days:
• Purses no larger than 12” in any dimension
• Small cameras, however they must not have detachable lenses or lenses of 6” or more
• Sunscreen, in non glass containers only
• Cell phones and tablets
• Seat cushions with no backs
• Personal music systems, radios or televisions
• Strollers and baby/diaper bags only if accompanied by a child
• Water and soft drinks in clear, plastic bottles that are sealed/unopened
• “Box” lunches or food in clear plastic bags or containers with max size of 18” by 18”, no grocery or trash bags
• Blankets and tarpaulins at gates one and three only
• Chairs at gate three only
**Limit of two bags per person
Items Prohibited inside Churchill Downs on Kentucky Derby & Oaks Days
The following items are not permitted for any exception on race days:
• Cans, glass bottles or containers of any size of type
• Pop up or patron tents with poles or stakes of any kind
• Camcorders/video cameras
• Coolers or thermoses
• Cameras with detachable lenses or a lens larger than 6”
• Alcoholic beverages
• Purses larger than 12” in any dimension or backpacks
• Luggage or duffel bags
• Weapons, including knives
• Fireworks, noisemakers, air horns, laser pointers/lights, mace or pepper spray of any kind
Have any questions? Let us know in the comments below and we’ll reply promptly.
Yes, those lists are a little overwhelming. Fortunately, many of things you would want to bring inside Churchill with you that are either prohibited or a struggle to carry in while meeting regulations, you can find inside the grounds of the track.
An even simpler, less expensive solution? Official Ticket Packages through Churchill Downs Official Ticket Package and Hospitality Provider, Derby Experiences!
Get Coveted Access at the 2014 Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks
The best way to eliminate the hassle of planning what you can and cannot bring with you inside Churchill Downs is to purchase an Official Ticket Package instead of just a ticket!
Not only will this grant you access to both Oaks and Derby race days, you’ll also have access to an exclusive hospitality access with coveted amenities. Inside is complimentary gourmet food, an open or cash bar, comfortable seating, private wagering stations, interactive elements, simulcast TV coverage of track activities, and much more! It’s the ultimate Kentucky Derby party where everything is provided for!
Not to mention, Hollywood stars, athletes and celebrity jockeys will be making appearances throughout the day to meet YOU!
With Official Ticket Packages starting at just $299, getting unparalleled access is affordable and you’re ensured to have the experience of a lifetime! You can even upgrade your Official Ticket Package will access to the Fillies & Lilies Party or Taste of Derby Party.
Get more information on Derby Experiences Official Ticket Packages today and plan your Kentucky Derby experience with no hassles!